Check out our Aboriginal Job Board!
Share this with friends
Book examines the history of the Rock Cree through stories
Traditional Narratives of the Rock Cree Indians
Compiled by: Robert A. Brightman
Canadian Plains Research Center185 pages (sc)
Review by L. Christine Suthers
Traditional Narratives of the Rock Cree Indians was first published in 1980 by the Canadian Museum of Civilization and later released in 2007 by the Canadian Plains Research Center.
The stories presented in the book were compiled by Roger Brightman and are narratives from the Rock Cree in northwestern Manitoba. There are over 100 narratives. The folk literature includes medicine stories, humourous stories and stories of animal marriages and transformation.
The folklore narratives included in Traditional Narratives of the Rock Cree Indians are told to Brightman in English, some related to him in Cree and translated to English. Some of the narratives were from either Cree or English transcriptions.
The Cree expressions used by the narrators are retained in the Cree dialect. Some of the narrations are presented completely in the Cree dialect with the full English translation following.
Brightman includes a short history of the various dialects of the Rock Cree and in which regions these dialects are located. He includes a discussion of the structure and sequencing of w+sahk+chk the trickster-transformer stories between the different versions of some stories told.
Brightman includes bibliographical references within the text of the book and a list of the citations at the end.
Traditional Narratives of the Rock Cree Indians is for anyone who has a serious interest in learning more about the Rock Cree, their myths, legends and history through the stories and discussions presented in this book.
- Community Access
- Contact Us
- Our History
- Archives Search
- In Depth
- Aboriginal Community Events
- Aboriginal Links
- Aboriginal Scholarship Guide
- Book Reviews
- 2009 Review: Meshom and The Little One
- 2009 Review: Motorcycles and Sweetgrass
- 2009 Review: Shedding Skins
- 2010 Review: America's Gift
- 2010 Review: Everything You Know About Indians is Wrong
- 2010 Review: Fatty Legs, a true story
- 2010 Review: she walks for days inside a thousand eyes
- 2011 Review: Broken Circle: The Dark Legacy of Indian Residential Schools—A Memoir
- 2011 Review: Gabriel Dumont: Li Chef Michif in Images and in Words
- 2011 Review: Louis Riel: The Heretic Poems
- 2011 Review: Midnight Sweatlodge
- 2011 Review: Seeing Red: A History of Natives in Canadian Newspapers
- 2011 Review: UnSettling the Settler Within: Indian Residential Schools, Truth Telling and Reconciliation in Canada
- 2012 Review: Discovering Totem Poles: A Traveler’s Guide
- 2012 Review: Finding A Way to the Heart
- 2012 Review: First Nations 101
- 2012 Review: Hope Faith & Empathy
- 2012 Review: Indian Horse
- 2012 Review: Jordin TooToo: The Highs and Lows in the Journey of the First Inuit to Play in the NHL
- 2012 Review: Louis Riel and the Creation of Modern Canada: Mythic Discourse and the Postcolonial State
- 2012 Review: My Mother Is Now Earth
- 2012 Review: Original People Original Television: The Launching of the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network
- 2012 Review: Outcasts of River Falls
- 2012 Review: Racialized Policing: Aboriginal People’s Encounters with the Police
- 2012 review: Hook Up
- 2013 Review: The Inconvenient Indian
- 2013 Review: The Strength of Women: Ahkameyimowak
- Buffalo Spirit: Recommended readings
- Rare Intellect - Recommended Readings
- Review: Shoot!
- Review: Traditional Narratives of the Rock Cree Indians
- Classroom Edition
- Health Information
Share this with friends
- The #IdleNoMore Movement
- Relationship between Canada's Justice System and Aboriginal People
- 2013 Guide to Powwow Country Events Calendar
- Play Radio Bingo to win!
- CFWE-FM Alberta Radio Network
- Buffalo Spirit Foundation
- Western Association of Aboriginal Broadcasters (WAAB)
- July Windspeaker - June 24
- July Raven's Eye - June 24
- July Saskatchewan Sage - June 24
- July Alberta Sweetgrass - July 8
- Download 2013 AMMSA media kits for:
* Sage - Raven's Eye - Birchbark
- Online advertising on www.ammsa.com.
Subscribe & Donate
- Order a Windspeaker digital subscription
- Order a Windspeaker print subscription
- Support independent, Indigenous media in Canada by making a donation via paypal