Check out our Aboriginal Job Board!
Métis MLA considers NDP leadership
Buckley Belanger, a longtime NDP MLA representing northern Saskatchewan, is considering a run for leader.
“If one of us aspires to be a leader, then I think that’ll prompt a lot of discussion, it’ll prompt a lot of thought and in a long way I think it will empower a lot of aboriginal people to think about politics and to think about the possibilities,” Belanger, who is Métis, told CBC News. Five of the NDP’s nine members who won in the last provincial election say they are considering running for the job of party leader. Joining Belanger as possible contenders are MLAs Cathy Sproule, Trent Wotherspoon, Danielle Chartier, and Cam Broten. The leadership convention will be held in February or March of next year in Saskatoon. Similar to the last two conventions, the NDP will use a one-member, one-vote process to select the next leader. Party members will also be able to participate in the leadership selection process by voting online, by phone, mail-in-ballot. Anyone with a valid 2013 NDP membership will be able to vote for the new leader.
- Community Access
- Contact Us
- Our History
- Archives Search
- In Depth
Share this with friends
- The #IdleNoMore Movement
- Relationship between Canada's Justice System and Aboriginal People
- 2013 Guide to Powwow Country Events Calendar
- Play Radio Bingo to win!
- CFWE-FM Alberta Radio Network
- Buffalo Spirit Foundation
- Western Association of Aboriginal Broadcasters (WAAB)
- June Windspeaker - May 27
- June Raven's Eye - May 27
- June Saskatchewan Sage - May 27
- June Alberta Sweetgrass - June 10
- Download 2013 AMMSA media kits for:
* Sage - Raven's Eye - Birchbark
- Online advertising on www.ammsa.com.
Subscribe & Donate
- Order a Windspeaker digital subscription
- Order a Windspeaker print subscription
- Support independent, Indigenous media in Canada by making a donation via paypal