Check out our Aboriginal Job Board!
Our Pick : Billy Joe Green - String Twister Hits & Misses
Artist—Billy Joe Green
Song—Keep the Circle Strong
Album—String Twister Hits & Misses
Billy Joe Green is an Aboriginal blues icon. As much as one can see that there are a growing number of Aboriginal artists following the blues musical genre, Billy Joe Green showed all of them how it’s done “Indian Style”. Inclusive of both subject matter and music styles, the hybrid of Aboriginal culture into the blues format is something that Green proved to all that Aboriginal people can sing the blues as well or better than any other ethnically rich culture. Billy Joe Green’s guitar playing gets down and dirty with gritty rough edges or he soothes and relaxes with gentle finesse. Green gives us all sides of his music from “on fire” to “relaxing and mellow”. This cd is one of the best collections for both fans of Green’s career or a perfect choice for someone new to his music. Anyone who is a listener of Aboriginal radio will be familiar with the song “Keep The Circle Strong”, which was on regular rotation in the mid 90’s.
The cd opens with a classic sound that’s instantly laid back and shows off Green’s guitar nimbleness on string twisting. From that point on its 16 more songs of every side of music Green has to offer over his career. Ending the cd, Green delivers a traditional drum song honouring his Aboriginal roots before signing off with a lullaby. If you have never heard of Billy Joe Green, take one part Stevie Ray Vaughan and two parts George Thorogood and put an eagle feather in his cap and Billy Joe Green is the real deal for any blues fan. There are no “misses” on this collection of songs as the title suggests. These are songs of hits and should have been hits if you can twist your mind around that title.
- Community Access
- Contact Us
- Our History
- Archives Search
- In Depth
Share this with friends
- The #IdleNoMore Movement
- Relationship between Canada's Justice System and Aboriginal People
- 2013 Guide to Powwow Country Events Calendar
- Play Radio Bingo to win!
- CFWE-FM Alberta Radio Network
- Buffalo Spirit Foundation
- Western Association of Aboriginal Broadcasters (WAAB)
- June Windspeaker - May 27
- June Raven's Eye - May 27
- June Saskatchewan Sage - May 27
- June Alberta Sweetgrass - June 10
- Download 2013 AMMSA media kits for:
* Sage - Raven's Eye - Birchbark
- Online advertising on www.ammsa.com.
Subscribe & Donate
- Order a Windspeaker digital subscription
- Order a Windspeaker print subscription
- Support independent, Indigenous media in Canada by making a donation via paypal