Check out our Aboriginal Job Board!
There is a new threat to First Nations people...
There is a new threat to First Nations people: A new strain of bacterial infection linked to meningitis and pneumonia. Type B Haemophilus influenzae had been eradicated by the 1990s through vaccine programs, but by 2006, Dr. Marina Ulanova of Lakehead University’s Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM) in Thunder Bay, Ont., noticed a Type A strain hitting First Nations people hard. Ulanova’s research team is trying to learn more about the strain to create a vaccine before the bacterial infection gets out of control. They are in the process of collecting blood samples from affected communities in northwestern Ontario.
- Community Access
- Contact Us
- Our History
- Archives Search
- In Depth
Share this with friends
- The #IdleNoMore Movement
- Relationship between Canada's Justice System and Aboriginal People
- 2013 Guide to Powwow Country Events Calendar
- Play Radio Bingo to win!
- CFWE-FM Alberta Radio Network
- Buffalo Spirit Foundation
- Western Association of Aboriginal Broadcasters (WAAB)
- July Windspeaker - June 24
- July Raven's Eye - June 24
- July Saskatchewan Sage - June 24
- July Alberta Sweetgrass - July 8
- Download 2013 AMMSA media kits for:
* Sage - Raven's Eye - Birchbark
- Online advertising on www.ammsa.com.
Subscribe & Donate
- Order a Windspeaker digital subscription
- Order a Windspeaker print subscription
- Support independent, Indigenous media in Canada by making a donation via paypal